Articles by Phinney
Articles in Communication Arts Magazine
- Variable Fonts are the Next Generation (Jan 2017)
- Finding a Common Language: Reconciliation & Revival through Letterforms (Sep 2015)
- How to Tell If a Font Sucks (Apr 2014)
- Should Dyslexics Unite on a Typeface? (June 2012) (extra thoughts on my blog, which links to my article in CA as well)
- How to Explain Why Typography Matters (Aug 2011)
- Dr. Strangebook (May 2009)
- Text and Glyphs in OpenType (Sep 2008)
Blog Posts on “Detective” Topics
- “Truth” is hard to come by (Jan 2018)
- Will Calibri Leave Pakistan Sans Sharif? (July 2017)
- Save $400M printing cost from font change? Not so fast… (Mar 2014)
- Rather Still Deluding Himself on Bush Memos (May 2013)
- Debating Bush memos (with Rather?) on Reddit (Feb 2013)
- Point Size and the Em Square: Not what people think (March 2011)
- Bob Hayes NFL Hall of Fame forgery (Feb 2009)
Select Quora Answers on Fonts & Typography
- Why did Microsoft change the default font to Calibri?
- Do companies get sued for using fonts illegally?
- What is the smallest Unicode character?
- Why are SF (San Francisco) symbols associated with the SF font? What makes them more than just images?
- Is there a special font that is helpful to dyslexic people?
- Which font most closely resembles Poor Richard’s Almanack?
- What is the largest font size capable of being displayed in MS Word?
- Are Open Sans and Segoe UI fonts free to use for any website?
- When texting, what is the meaning of the symbol with an “X” inside a tall rectangle?
- Why has Unicode created a blue puzzle piece emoji to represent the autism spectrum?
- What does the symbol § mean and why is it an extension of the & symbol?
- Do fonts get taken down from Google? I mean is there a font that I might embed on my website today and it wouldn’t be available after some time?